I am from Washington State. Can I get an Oregon CHL?
Yes. Multnomah County currently issues to Washington state residents.
I am from Washington and have a Washington CHL. Do I still need to take a safety handgun class?
Yes. You must take a handgun safety course taught by an NRA or Law Enforcement Certified instructor. After you complete the course, bring the certificate or License with you to your scheduled appointment.
I am from Idaho (or California). Can I get an Oregon CHL?
We do not issue to non-residents, except for Washington state. If you live in another state, but own a residence in Multnomah County and can provide proof of real property ownership, then you are eligible to receive an Oregon CHL.
I have a DD214. Will that satisfy the safety handgun class requirement?
Maybe. The form must show you have qualified with handguns. If the DD214 specifically states the words pistol, sidearm, or handgun training, it would satisfy the requirement.
am law enforcement. Do I still need to provide proof of safety handgun training?
Yes. We need to see an official form to indicate handgun training or pistol qualification.
I am active military. What do I need to provide for proof of safety handgun training?
You will need to show an official document that shows you have qualified with handguns. If it specifically states the words pistol, sidearm, or handgun training, then it would satisfy the requirement.
I am a veteran. Do I get a discount?
No, we do not give a veteran discount.
I took the safety handgun training. What do I do next?
Your next step is to fill out the application and turn it in to our office (4735 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97215). You can mail the application, email it in a pdf format (email@example.com), or drop it off at our office. After we receive your application, an email will be sent that includes your appointment date/time and information on what you need to bring to the appointment.
What are the requirements for getting a CHL?
- You must be a resident of Multnomah County or Washington State or own real property in Multnomah County or Washington State to be eligible for an Oregon Concealed Handgun License issued by the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office
- You must be a citizen of the United States
- The only exception to this is if you are a legal resident alien, have continuously lived in the US a minimum of six months and have proof in writing, and/or you have declared to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services your intention to become a citizen.
- You must show the accepted form of proof of your declaration from Immigration Services at the time of application.
- Age – You must be 21 years of age prior to making application for a concealed handgun
- You cannot have any outstanding warrants for your arrest;
- You must be a resident of county for which you are applying or;
- The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office issues to residents of the State of Washington if you can present a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.
- You must be free of any form of pretrial release;
- You must demonstrate competence with a handgun by any one of the following:
- Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
- Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or
- Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;
- You cannot have been convicted of a felony or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295 (Effect of qualifying mental disorder), of a felony;
- You cannot have been convicted of a misdemeanor or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295 (Effect of qualifying mental disorder), of a misdemeanor within the four years prior to the application, including a misdemeanor conviction for the possession of marijuana as described below in paragraph m.
- You cannot have been committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness);
- You cannot have been found to be a person with mental illness and is subject to an order under ORS 426.130 (Court determination of mental illness) that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness;
- You cannot have been discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for more than four years
if, while a minor, the person was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act that, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470 (Limitations and conditions for sales of firearms);
- You cannot have been convicted of an offense involving controlled substances or participated in a court-supervised drug diversion program, except this disability does not operate to exclude a person if:
- The person can demonstrate that the person has been convicted only once of
a marijuana possession offense that constituted a misdemeanor or violation under the law of the jurisdiction of the offense, and has not completed a drug diversion program for a marijuana possession offense that constituted a misdemeanor or violation under the law of the jurisdiction of the offense; or
- The person can demonstrate that the person has only once completed a drug diversion program for a marijuana possession offense that constituted a misdemeanor or violation under the law of the jurisdiction of the offense, and has not been convicted of a marijuana possession offense that constituted a misdemeanor or violation under the law of the jurisdiction of the offense;
- You cannot be a subject to a citation issued under ORS 163.735 (Citation) or an order issued under ORS 30.866 (Action for issuance or violation of stalking protective order), 107.700 (Short title) to 107.735 (Duties of State Court Administrator) or 163.738 (Effect of citation);
- You cannot have received a dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces of the United States;
- You cannot be required to register as a sex offender in any state; and
- You are not presently subject to an order under ORS 426.133 (Assisted outpatient treatment) prohibiting you from purchasing or possessing a firearm.
Can I take an on-line safety handgun class?
Yes. The online course needs to be taught by an NRA or Law Enforcement certified instructor. We recommend the one offered by the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office.
My certificate from the class is over a year old. It is still acceptable as proof of training?
Yes, if you still have your original certificate of completion. We will accept the certificate if the course was taught by an NRA or Law Enforcement certified instructor. If the instructor or class cannot be verified, you will need to take another one.
I have a certificate from taking a class for the Utah permit. Is that acceptable?
Yes, it may. It must be taught by an NRA or Law Enforcement certified instructor to be accepted. If the instructor or class cannot be verified, you will need to take another one.
How long does the process take?
Once we receive your completed application, we will email you within a week with your appointment date and time. After your appointment, we will do the background check and the License will be mailed to you within 30-45 days.
Do I need to call and make an appointment?
No. We will email you with an appointment date and time once we receive your application. You can request a certain day and/or time for the appointment and attach it to the application. If you need to reschedule call 503-988-0517.
How will I be notified about my appointment? Will you call, send a letter or email?
If you provided us with an email address on your application, we will email you with the appointment date and time. If you did not provide an email address, we will send you a letter.
How long are the permits good for?
4 years. The expiration date is on the permit.
What does the permit cost and what are the forms of payment?
$55. We accept cash (exact amount), Visa/MasterCard credit or debit, and check/money order.
I have a DPSST License. Will that satisfy the requirement?
A DPSST Armed Certification License or a PS-6 form would satisfy the requirement.
How old do I have to be to get a CHL?
What does the background check involve?
The background check mainly consists of criminal history and mental health incidents.
Do I get my money back if I don’t pass the background check?
No. The $55 fee is non-refundable.
I have a permanent resident License. Can I get an Oregon CHL?
If you were not born in the United States, you must provide proof of citizenship in the following ways: US Passport, original certificate of Naturalization, foreign-service document issued at birth, or I-797C Notice of Action application showing you have applied for US Citizenship. A permanent resident License, work permit, or legal resident alien License does NOT meet the requirement for citizenship.
Do you have to be a citizen to get an Oregon CHL?
Yes, you must be a citizen of the United States. The only exception is if you are a legal resident alien who has declared to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services your intention to become a citizen (and lived in the county for at least six months). You must show the accepted form of proof of your declaration (I-7979C Notice of Action application) to be eligible.
I have a CHL from another state. Will that satisfy the safety handgun requirement?
No. You must take a handgun safety course taught by an NRA or Law Enforcement certified instructor.
I have a medical marijuana License. Will that affect my getting a CHL?
No, it will not affect eligibility for a CHL.
I have a felony but that was over 30 years ago. Can I still get a CHL?
To receive a CHL you cannot be convicted of a felony. We would need to see documents that it was expunged or that your firearm rights were restored. However, firearm right restoration does not guarantee that you will receive a CHL.
live in Clackamas County but work close to your office. Can I get my Oregon CHL through your office?
No. You must get your CHL in the county in which you reside.
I took a class from your office years ago but can’t find the certificate. Can I get a duplicate from your office?
Yes. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive another copy of the certificate.
I took an online class and they say to print the certificate. Is that acceptable? (since we ask to see the original safety handgun class certificate we get this question sometimes)
Yes, that is acceptable. Some online courses mail you the certificate, while others have you print it.
Will you accept the certificate on my phone or do I need to print out the certificate?
We need to see the original certificate, whether that was mailed to you or printed it out. We will not accept the certificate on the phone.
How do I know if I can qualify for a CHL?
We cannot pre-approve someone before their scheduled appointment. Call 503-988-0517 if you have any questions concerning your eligibility.
Can I apply on line for a CHL?
No, you cannot apply online for a CHL. You must mail the application or turn it in to our office located at 4735 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97215.
How can I get an application?
The application is located online at the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office website (mcso.us) and our office on 4735 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97215.
Can I turn in my application at any Sheriff’s office? Can I turn in an application at the Troutdale location?
You can turn in the application at our office located on 4735 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97215 or the Troutdale Office at 234 SW Kendall Ct, Troutdale, OR 97060.
Are any out of state CHL’s valid in Oregon? Which states will accept a CHL from Oregon?
Oregon does not recognize CHL’s from other states. It is best to contact the specific states about reciprocity. The website www.handgunlaw.us may be a helpful resource.
Can my Concealed Handgun License be revoked?
Yes, under the the following cirucumstances.